Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Congratulations Customer of the week Dean Buchanan! !




It seems that winter has swooped down. The bakery had a broken pane (overhead) so I'm doing several weatherization improvements this week. I should have both sprouted wheat sourdough and classic baguettes tomorrow (Tuesday 25 May)Wow, how did we get through May already. This week I am concentrating on my barter study by reading articles and textbooks. The glaze that comes over me is strong enough for industrial cinnamon rolls. I find that if I read it out loud into a voice recorder and then reread it while listening, it really gets in my brain a lot better.

This week the customer of the week is Dean Buchanan. He practically embodies the spirit of the project. He is an artist, himself maybe that is part of the appreciation for artisan breads. His paintings are large and bright and are often depicting New Zealand landscapes with a flamboyant jumpy energy.
I had the pleasure of touring his studio recently, which one has to meander down a earthy path with wide steps marked by railroad ties and sculptures and artifacts here and there. Dean has been inspired by a recent climbing expedition in the Southern Alps and he has a crisp new painting hanging. I loved the smell of the paint and the intriguing stuff all around.

I first started trading with Dean after I found a painting in my house after I had been away on a a two month trip. What a delight it was to find the canvas rolled up with a note saying he wanted to trade! Now I have two of his works and he is a regular weekly customer. I especially appreciate his enthusiasm for the tarts and other sweets I have been starting to make. Thanks to all the Buchanan family for the business. You will get a free loaf of bread and a family dessert this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment